Making a DIY solar oven for s’mores is a great summer project for kids. It combines all the things we love- the outdoors, crafts, science and chocolate. My daughter made one at school and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. My kids and I spent the afternoon making s’mores. Here’s how we did it.
Supplies Needed for a DIY Solar Oven
- Cardboard box
- Plastic wrap
- Wooden skewer, stick or pencil
- Aluminum foil
- Black paper
- Ingredients for s’mores (graham crackers, chocolate candy bars and jumbo marshmallows)
How to Make a DIY Solar Oven
1. Line the inside of a cardboard box with black paper. A boot box or pizza box works well because the lid stays attached.
2. Cut a flap on the top of the box. Just cut 3 sides.
3. On the inside of the box, cover the opening under the flap with plastic wrap and tape in place.
4. Cover the flap with foil.
5. Prop open the flap with a wooden skewer.
How to Make S’mores in Your Solar Oven
Place graham crackers inside your solar oven and top each one with a marshmallow. Don’t add chocolate yet. It melts very quickly in the sun. Close the lid but make sure the flap is propped open. Place your solar oven in a bright, sunny location. Let it cook.
We let our graham cracker and marshmallow cook for about 1 1/2 hours. The marshmallow turned out nice and mushy. Next we added the chocolate which immediately began melting. Then all that was left to do was enjoy!
I’ll see ya by the campfire.
For more information about solar ovens, visit NASA’s Climate Kids.
I wonder what else we could make in our solar oven.